About Me

- Name: Rick
- Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin, United States
These blogs find me in one of my favorite roles, communication teacher. I feel blessed to be able to make a career out of better understanding, and helping others better understand, how humans communicate.
Links
Archives
Okay, so I'm weird. I think the communication in organizations is really interesting. The fact that I teach and study it has nothing to do with it. . . probably.
Wednesday, December 01, 2004
So PR is just organizational communication, or is it the other way around? Chpt. 11
Not everything that an organization does is about communication. There are organizational problems that are not communication problems. A good business degree undoubtedly offers insight into organizational function that a communication degree does not. The opposite is also true. It is important for those of us (i.e. you) who are students of communication (I'd go so far as to say communication scholars but I don't want to scare you) to use all that we know about communication to make the relationships and small groups in organizations work to their maximum efficiency and effectiveness. What this chapter stresses is that it is also important to use what we've learned about communication to maximize the communication of the organization itself. I am amazed at the number of times that an organization sends out messages that directly contradict the way the organization wants people to interact with it. We are uniquely able to see these places where there is a mismatch between organizational message and organizational intent.
Here is my example of a tale with a happy ending that begins with a mismatch between an organization and an intent that is very important to it. Back in the days before I had braces I was one of those people who was, to put it mildy, dentally challenged. I have spent much of my adult life working with dentists in the various cities I lived in to save my teeth. With incredibly crooked and crowded teeth it was very difficult for me to keep them up. Several dentists said that my teeth were so bad there was no way I could even have braces. I was determined to figure out a way to get braces and kept taking care of my teeth the best I could. After several root canals, painful periodontic work, and other difficult dental procedures I had grown to really dislike the who idea of seeing a dentist. So here's the story. I visited a dentist office in Salt Lake City one summer. I'd not been to this dentist before and went with some fear. After I got to the office, got checked in and finally saw the dentist I had, for me, what was an unexpected and pleasant experience. The dentists (a husband and wife team) were incredibly caring and sensitive. They were developing a practice that specialized in dentistry for children but it was evident that they truly understood how unpleasant an experience with the dentist can be and went far beyond the extra mile to make the experience as positive and productive as possible. I still remember that they let me choose from about eight flavors of topical anesthetic to put on to numb the gums before they injected novacaine. The dentist laughed that they had so many flavors because it really made a difference to the kids that they could choose a flavor. I laughed too but was secretly thankful that I had found such sensitive dentists.
After they had finished with the dental work we had an opportunity to talk (they were used to listening to people talk with half their mouth novacained up, fortunately) and they asked me what I did. When I told them I taught organizational communication they asked me how their organization communicated. I told them I thought they did a really good job but one thing had been interesting to me. While they clearly were concerned about their patients I told them that I had noticed that the first paperwork you filled out was the insurance and financial responsibility paperwork. After you had completed that you got to the paperwork where you shared your dental history and the problem you were having. I told them that normally it wouldn't have struck me but that it was so different than all the other messages I was getting that it really stood out to me. I had good health care coverage so it wasn't an issue with me but it did seem inconsistent. Many, if not most, organizations would have dismissed this as too small of a matter to worry about. After all, my impression was overwhelmingly favorable. A tribute to these dentists is they took it very seriously. They hadn't even considered that their clipboard with forms communicated a message. I assured them that it wasn't a big deal but that "one cannot, not communicate." (Yes, I used that in the conversation!)
The bottom line is that when I came in several weeks later for my follow up appointment I noticed right away that the paperwork on the clipboards at the front desk had been changed. The form that asked you to describe the reason for your visit was on top, the dental history was second, and the financial forms were on the bottom. That was my last visit to that dentist as I moved back to Texas for the new school year. I have remembered them very clearly (this visit was over ten years ago) and I'm sure they've done very well. To me they embody a concern for organizational communication that truly shapes the organization and, ultimately, helps the organization succeed.
What do you think?
Here is my example of a tale with a happy ending that begins with a mismatch between an organization and an intent that is very important to it. Back in the days before I had braces I was one of those people who was, to put it mildy, dentally challenged. I have spent much of my adult life working with dentists in the various cities I lived in to save my teeth. With incredibly crooked and crowded teeth it was very difficult for me to keep them up. Several dentists said that my teeth were so bad there was no way I could even have braces. I was determined to figure out a way to get braces and kept taking care of my teeth the best I could. After several root canals, painful periodontic work, and other difficult dental procedures I had grown to really dislike the who idea of seeing a dentist. So here's the story. I visited a dentist office in Salt Lake City one summer. I'd not been to this dentist before and went with some fear. After I got to the office, got checked in and finally saw the dentist I had, for me, what was an unexpected and pleasant experience. The dentists (a husband and wife team) were incredibly caring and sensitive. They were developing a practice that specialized in dentistry for children but it was evident that they truly understood how unpleasant an experience with the dentist can be and went far beyond the extra mile to make the experience as positive and productive as possible. I still remember that they let me choose from about eight flavors of topical anesthetic to put on to numb the gums before they injected novacaine. The dentist laughed that they had so many flavors because it really made a difference to the kids that they could choose a flavor. I laughed too but was secretly thankful that I had found such sensitive dentists.
After they had finished with the dental work we had an opportunity to talk (they were used to listening to people talk with half their mouth novacained up, fortunately) and they asked me what I did. When I told them I taught organizational communication they asked me how their organization communicated. I told them I thought they did a really good job but one thing had been interesting to me. While they clearly were concerned about their patients I told them that I had noticed that the first paperwork you filled out was the insurance and financial responsibility paperwork. After you had completed that you got to the paperwork where you shared your dental history and the problem you were having. I told them that normally it wouldn't have struck me but that it was so different than all the other messages I was getting that it really stood out to me. I had good health care coverage so it wasn't an issue with me but it did seem inconsistent. Many, if not most, organizations would have dismissed this as too small of a matter to worry about. After all, my impression was overwhelmingly favorable. A tribute to these dentists is they took it very seriously. They hadn't even considered that their clipboard with forms communicated a message. I assured them that it wasn't a big deal but that "one cannot, not communicate." (Yes, I used that in the conversation!)
The bottom line is that when I came in several weeks later for my follow up appointment I noticed right away that the paperwork on the clipboards at the front desk had been changed. The form that asked you to describe the reason for your visit was on top, the dental history was second, and the financial forms were on the bottom. That was my last visit to that dentist as I moved back to Texas for the new school year. I have remembered them very clearly (this visit was over ten years ago) and I'm sure they've done very well. To me they embody a concern for organizational communication that truly shapes the organization and, ultimately, helps the organization succeed.
What do you think?
